Monday, October 02, 2006

The Vince Young Era Begins with the Albert Haynesworth Stomp.

Let's see which newspaper runs that headline on Monday.


Ugly day for Titans fans, as Mr. Haynesworth disgraced the uniform with his indefensible actions in the the third quarter of todays game with the Cowboys. There is no excuse, and Haynesworth isn't even trying to make one.

DT ALBERT HAYNESWORTH

(on his hit on Andre Gurode)

First thing I’d like to say is, nobody told me what to say. Nobody coached me on my statement or anything like that. It’s all coming from me. What I’d like to say is I’m very sorry. I apologize to Andre. What I did was disgusting. It’s something that should never happen. I mean I’m not a dirty player. I don’t play dirty. I have respect for the game. What I feel like is I disgraced the game, disgraced my team and disgraced my last name. I just don’t know what else to say to apologize. When I was sitting in here in the locker room when the game was going on, I was looking at my phone, which has my kids on it. I don’t want them to have my last name and to think their Dad was a dirty player because I don’t play that way. I play with a lot of heart. What I did out there was disgusting. It doesn’t matter what the league does to me. The way I feel right now, you just can’t describe it.



It should have been a day of hesitant joy as Vince Young showed glimpses of unlimited potential running the Titans Offense. Once he realizes that the defense is watching his helmet and learns how to fool them, he has the chance to become one of the greatest quarterbacks I've ever seen. There's something about him beyond the stats that gives you that same feeling that McNair did. That maybe he has the tools needed to carry a team over the hump. They may not win a lot of games this year, but I can tell you, with Vince on the field, the Titans will be in it.

Instead we have this Haynesworth madness. Should Albert be banned for the year? Answer in the comments.

Update: For the few hundred of you who have come here looking for the video to the play in question, it's available here at this ESPN page. And would it kill you to leave a comment about it? I don't ask for much. Really I don't.

No comments: