Monday, March 08, 2004

Didn't see the Passion this weekend.......

Nope, after rethinking my decision to spend money to see what the fuss is all about, I decided against seeing the movie this weekend. Here's why.

I don't need to see it to form my opinion about Jesus. I've read many different accounts of the story, from those who take the bible as a literal interpretation of history to those who have dissected the accuracy of the four gospels. In my opinion, there was simply too much political tinkering with the story to say that the Four Gospels in the bible represented the accurate history of the time. The Council of Nicea, deleted a number of Gospels from the New Testament, including but not limited to The Gospel of Thomas, The Second Apocalypse of James, The Gospel of the Nazoreans, The Gospel of the Egyptians, The Gospel of Phillip, The Gospel of Barnabas, and one that is quite obviously missing, The Gospel of Mary (Magdalene). How anyone can claim to have the full story knowing full well that these were deleted is ludicrous on its face. This does not mean that the four gospels in the new testament are wrong, but it does point out that there were other parts to the story that were deliberately suppressed.

So therefore, the movie to me seems far to evangelical for my tastes. I live in the buckle of the bible belt, and the last thing I need is to sit through three hours of violent evangelicalism. What I find even more interesting, if not hypocritical, is that the Church usually seems to be very anti-hollywood because of violence, claiming that Hollywood is destroying our moral foundations. Now we have one of the more violent films in memory being played to millions of people, and the Church is encouraging people, even children in some cases, to go see it. This doesn't make sense. So sorry Mel, but you're not getting my eight bucks. Like you need it anyways.

No comments: