Friday, June 24, 2005

This Could Be The Single Greatest Thing I have Ever Heard A Musician Say.......

........(via TC over at LeatherPenguin)


GALLAGHER: 'LIVE 8 WILL NEVER WORK'

NOEL GALLAGHER is convinced LIVE 8 will never achieve its lofty aim of persuading politicians from the world's richest countries to eliminate debt owed by poorer nations.

The outspoken OASIS guitarist believes rock stars simply don't have the influence needed to affect the G8 decision makers - and believes all their hard work will be in vain.

He says, "Correct me if I'm wrong, but are they hoping that one of these guys from the G8 is on a quick 15 minute break at Gleneagles (in Scotland) and sees ANNIE LENNOX singing SWEET DREAMS and thinks, 'F**k me, she might have a point there, you know?'


Look, I'm all for musicians raising money for important causes, hell I organized and played in one for the American Diabetes and Cancer Societies last year. But nothing grates me more than when musicians and other celebrities get this holier-than-thou attitude going and think that the world is in dire need of their input in order to save us all.

In the case of the G-8 meetings, my personal views can be summed up in the following cartoon from the geniuses over at Cox and Forkum-



I'm all for erasing the debt, but without political reform, it's pointless. Debt or no debt, until governments like those in the Sudan or Mugabes in Zimbabwe are held accountable, nothing is going to change. These countries need free markets and free people, not handouts.

This also gives me a chance to lead in to another great work from one of my favorite writers, and his friends over at National Lampoon the great Jay Pinkerton- "Bono's Third World Products, inc."

No comments: